The goal of the Victim/Witness Program is to identify and protect the rights of Crime Victims and Witnesses. We are available to provide victims and witnesses with a full range of services. The Victim/Witness Service Program is here to ensure your right to be treated with dignity, compassion, and respect during the course of criminal proceedings.

The Victim/Witness Coordinator will inform you of the criminal justice process, provide emotional support through court proceedings, assist you in obtaining compensation for economic loss, and keep you notified of the status of your case, including final disposition of the case. We would also be able to refer you to other community resources and social service agencies for additional help if needed.

Services Available

  • Orientation to the Criminal Justice System and/or Juvenile Justice System
  • Assistance with Intimidation Protections
  • Notification of Significant Actions and Proceedings
  • Case Status Information
  • Appeal Information
  • Assistance with Victim Impact Statements
  • Assistance with Restitution Claim Forms
  • Provide Victim’s Rights Notification
  • Information and assistance relating to filing Crime Victims Compensation
  • Accompaniment to hospital, police, court, etc.
  • Crises Intervention
  • Supportive Counseling
  • Community Referral
  • Assitance with Property Return
  • Emergency Child Care for Court Purposes
  • Employer/Creditor Intervention
  • Transportation for court purposes

Ways to Recover Financial Loss

  1. Restitution – can be ordered as part of the sentencing. You as the victim must submit your claim along with substantiating documents. Your claim will be reviewed and a recommendation will be made up to the courts with the dollar amount ordered.For Juveniles – The Juvenile Act limits the amount of restitution which can be ordered by the court, under parental liability. The parent of a juvenile can be held for no more than $1,000 unless there is more than one act committed, then the parent of the juvenile can be held responsible for a maximum of $2,500.
  2. Civil Suit – Both restitution and compensation often do not cover a victim’s full economic losses, and neither source pays anything for hard-to-qualify damages such as pain and suffering. A civil lawsuit may provide more complete compensation to a victim.For Juveniles – If your claim exceeds the limit set by the Juvenile Act, the court will not be able to order full restitution. However, you have the option of suing the juvenile and his/her family in civil court to recover the remainder of your claim.
  3. Crime Victims Compensation – is the payer of last resort. All other sources must be utilized before payment can be considered. See Crime Victims Compensation section below for more information.